Today I've uploaded a beta version of WriteArea to AMO, as I said, it has been updated to CKEditor 3.5.1 but besides that it includes (finally) a feature that it's the way that most of us expected the editor to behave: in-page editing.
This means that the editor is integrated into the page instead of a bottom pane or popup dialog. This feature is still experimental and there might be some unexpected problems, so please be careful (by saving drafts or copy&paste of the contents) before submitting the form.
This feature might have some improvements before the final release, but you can already start testing it
Some drawbacks (at least for the moment):
- It's not possible to revert the action, once the editor is created it only goes away when the page reloads (might not be a big problem)
- The clipboard operations are again restricted by default.
- The Open/Save draft features are no longer available. Maybe I'll adapt them to use HTML5 storage instead of saving to file.
- It's just easier to use and understand
- There can be multiple editors in the same page
- A button can be added so all the textareas are converted without using the context menu
Please, test it and tell me if you notice some problem or if you think that this is really the way to go and the other options should go away.