2010/12/30

Public release of new Google Maps for CKEditor might finally see the light of day

For quite some time I've got almost ready a port of the Google Maps plugin for FCKeditor to the latest version of each API: Google Maps 3 and CKEditor 3, but there was a major problem that I wasn't happy about and that was the lack in GMaps 3 of the ability to create and edit polylines and areas.

I could have go ahead and state that it's finished without such feature, but that wouldn't be honest.

Or I could have worked out my own implementation, but I already created such code in the old times and I wouldn't like to do it again because I can't spend enough time polishing any issues and making sure that the code works correctly and that it's correctly optimized.

So I waited and waited...

And finally, yes, today they have stated that they plan to release it in the first quarter.

With this light at the end of the tunnel I'll try to verify that everything else keeps working as I left it some months ago and I'll be very happy to state that it's finally released even if there are some other missing features from v2.

5 comments:

bestis said...

Have you released it? :) I think I would have use for a plugin like that. Can also take even not so working code as I think I only need basic stuff that already works.

bestis said...

Placeholder (to get email follow-up comments as didn't notice check it at first time:)

Alfonso said...

It's still missing the ability to edit lines and areas, everything else is ready. If you want it you can get it now and I'll send you any future update, just contact me at amla70 at gmail

jwaldek said...

any new info about this plugin?

Alfonso said...

I guess that they have been very busy with Google+, it still isn't clear when they will add support for editing lines.